This is the SGA H/C Challenges community. It is a community for gen, whump stories and art with one or all characters of Stargate Atlantis in response to challenges.
This community was made for many reasons: writers and artists facing the dreadful writer’s block and needing a prompt for a one-shot before going back to WIP, writers that want to enter hurt/confort challenges with characters other than Sheppard, readers with difficulty finding some gen stories evolving whump, readers seeking hurt/confort stories with other members of the Atlantis team other than the usual Sheppard and sometimes McKay stories, or whatever applies to you.
LFWS stands for Last Fic Writer Standing. If you’re familiar with the LIMS in many icon making comms you know what this is about, but if you’re not this is how it works:
The challenge is composed of rounds. On each round the participants will have to write a story following a general prompt. Participants have a week to write something, so the fics will be short. Usually drabbles or something of the sort. The stories will be submitted to the mods and will be posted anonymously. Then the stories are voted. The voters will select their favorite and least favorite story, and give reasons for the votes (always with constructive criticism, bashing and voting for yourself are not allowed). After the round of votes, one winner for the round will be announced, and one writer will not continue to the next round. No need to be afraid about not continuing, it is a natural part of the process. This will continue for as many rounds as necessary, until there is only one writer standing, which will be selected the Last Fic Writer Standing.
(1) You have to sign up to participate. You can sign up by replying to the signing up post.
(3) After the prompt of each round is announced, with the participants’ checklist, the writers will have a week to write the story.
(4) Write short stories. Remember the deadline, the word count and that voters will have to read all the stories to vote.
(5) Gen only, please.
(6) They need to have some H/C, obviously.
(7) Usually the word count will be part of the challenge. For example one round will only accept 300 words stories, no more, no less.
(8) You are not going to post your own stories. You are not to reveal what you wrote until the voting is closed.
(9) Only the mods can post the stories, so you’ll need to send them over.
(10) Voters will have to give reasons for the votes. No bashings. Constructive criticism only. Unreasonable votes (like ‘I can’t believe you put my least favorite character of all doing the comfort’ or ‘I hate Rodney whump’) will not be allowed.
(11) Each vote will count as a score (negative or positive). The greater the score, the more positive votes the story received.
(12) The votes are not to be submitted in the comments of the story. A separate post will be made for votes, which will be screened. Votes in the comments of the story will not be counted. You can post your feedback in the comments though, just not if your vote will go to the story or not.
(13) No voting for yourself or telling others to do so.
(14) You can ask to receive the criticism of your story after the voting is closed. A separate post will be done for that and the mods will post all the criticism in a screened comment to your request. You can have the criticism unscreened if you want to share it with other writers, but you can keep them a secret if you want.
(15) Don’t be afraid of not progressing to the next round. Being voted down is a part of the process and there is always the next time.
(16) The winners will receive banners for their stories and artists can also sign up to be making them. If you are an artist and would like to be making a matching art banner for the winner stories you can sign up on the signing up post for the corresponding challenge.
(17) Generally the voters will select a First, Second and Third place stories. Mods will select Mod’s Choice. When fewer writers are left, there’ll only be First Place winners and Mod’s Choice. The last round will have theLast Fic Writer Standing for First Place writer, and a Memorable Participation Fic Writer for Second Place writer.
(18) If for any reason you cannot write a story for any one round you can use a skip. Each participant receive one skip on signing up. More skips are gained by pimping the comm somewhere else (like in your Livejournal). Simply contact the mods with the link to your pimping post and you’ll receive another one, so you don’t need to worry about committing to the challenge each week. Everyone here have real lives and problems and surely there will be occasions in which participating in a round won’t be possible. If you fail to submit the story in the due date and forgot to skip the round, a mod will use any skips you have to save you, but if don’t have any skips left, I’m sorry, but you won’t continue to the next round.
(19) After the voting is closed, the authors will be revealed and you can post your fic in any other places you want.
(20) Each round will have a winner, but only one writer will be The Last Fic Writer Standing.
The rules for Non-LFWS Challenges:
1.There will be a different challenge every three weeks, overdues are accepted as long as the moderators are warned. Do it by commenting in the challenge prompt post.
2.Gen only. Friendship fics and art are encouraged.
3.Stories and art must be Hurt/Comfort. Angst is encouraged. Other genres can be included with the mandatory one.
4.One-shot stories following the word count included in the prompt of the challenge. If no word count is included, 500-15000 words are implied. These are only a guideline, but the story MUST fit in one post.
5.Use only the characters included in the prompt. If no characters are listed, any/all can be used.
6.Stories and art will be published only in the community for the duration of the challenge. After entries are closed you are free to post it elsewhere. Also, don't forget to use the cut for all fics and art. You can include a small teaser, though.
9.Anyone is free to enter stories for the challenges and no betas are needed, however fics suffering severe mistakes will be deleted. This includes fics with characters names spelled wrong and very crude grammar/ spelling mistakes. A warning will be posted in the comments of the fic in question and the writer can correct the mistakes before deletion by the moderators. Don’t be afraid to post your stories, though, for only very serious problem will cause deletion. Betas can be found in the sga_beta.
10.Include header in the entries as follows:
Challenge #: [name of challenge] Title: Author: Rating: Word count or Size of art (in pixels): Characters: [include (H/C) after the name of the character(s) whumped in the story] Genre: Hurt/Comfort; [any other] Disclamer: Spoilers: [spoiler warning for episodes of the season currently airing] Summary:
11.Some challenges will be special challenges that will include voting in the week after entries are closed. These are the Voting Challenges. Do not vote for your own stories. If you want to participate in voting read all fics, please. If an entry for the Voting Challenge doesn’t follow the appropriate prompt a warning will be posted in the comments for correction. If the correction is not made by the time entries close, the story will not be included in the voting. Banners will be given to First Place, Second Place and Third Place.
12.Some challenges will have a special name to prevent long repeated posts with always the same information. In these include:
- Drabble Challenge: word count is 100; character will always be unique and prompt will consist of one theme or especific words to be included in the story. - Word Challenge: word count is 500; the story must include the words included in the prompt in any order, shape or form. Free story, any character. Underline words of prompt. - Character Challenge: word count is 300-15000; specified character suffers the whump of prompt. - Comfort Challenge: word count is 500-15000; the whump of prompt already occurred and the story begins at comfort phase. - Angst Challenge: word count s 300-15000; specified character suffers specified angst; no need for physical injury. - Friendship Challenge: word count is 500-15000; two specified characters in which one or both suffers whump and care for each other in the circumstances of prompt. - Team Challenge: word count is 500-15000; all members of Sheppard’s team; story begins and ends at the crossing of event horizon and only happens off world in planet of specified characteristics.
13.Season 5 spoilers are allowed for any challenge responses, as long as they are properly labeled.
14.Any doubts contact the moderators by commenting in the rules post or the challenge in question.